You already know the saying, “I have to see it to believe it.” You may even subscribe to that phrase yourself. Believing after seeing certainly has its place in the world, but if you’re looking to up the ante and manifest both personal and professional success, then you’re just going to have to give in and believe it before you see it. The words we repeatedly tell ourselves are critical to our success because words become the actions, habits and belief system that either hold us back or help us up.
Why are positive affirmations so powerful and what exactly makes them work? As Psychology Today points out “An affirmation can work as it has the ability to program your mind into believing the stated concept. This is because the mind doesn’t know the difference between what is real or fantasy.” According to Spirituality Health, it can take “21 days of repetition for an affirmation to make its mark on your psyche, so aim to keep your affirmation going for at least a month.”
Remember it’s important to replace negative thoughts with positive affirmations you can believe. For example, let’s say you want to affirm you have a million dollars in the bank, but in reality you are $125,000 smackeroos in debt. The gap between reality and that affirmation is just too steep for you to believe that you’re a millionaire. In fact, saying that you’re a millionaire repeatedly when you have creditors calling you non-stop will just add to negative feelings and in turn, negative affirmations. The trick is to choose affirmations that encourage you to believe, to think positively and to see your situation in a new perspective. In this case, instead of saying you’re a millionaire, repeat “money flows effortlessly into my life.” This affirmation isn’t hinged on any specific numbers, creditor experience and can easily be separated from current “reality”.
Keep your affirmations short, believable and personal and you’ll begin to notice your actions, habits and opportunities lining up with your thoughts!
Need help getting started? Here are seven powerful, success-affirming phrases you can say to yourself every morning.
- The power is within me. I learn from the past, live in the now and plan for the future. (taken from self-help and self-development.com)
- Success and good fortune flow toward me in a river of abundance. (taken from Happy Someone)
- What is for me, will not pass me. (this is a personal favorite of mine)
- Abundance flows into my life in surprising and miraculous ways every day. (taken from oprah.com)
- I radiate grace, charm and exuberance (Yes, you do! Taken from successstory.com)
- Happiness is a choice. I base my happiness on my own accomplishments and the blessings I’ve been given. (taken from Huff Post)
- The more I celebrate my life, the more there is to celebrate.
Do you have a favorite affirmation or mantra that’s rocked your world? Make sure to let us know in the comments below.